Friday, May 18, 2012

Recipes from this week

I posted some pictures of our meals this week on Instagram and Twitter and had a request for recipes, so here it goes! Let me know if you try them, and if you have an Instagram or Twitter I’ve created the hashtag “#healthyfoodhashtag” so post a picture if you try them!

Summer Corn Relish
3 whole ears of corn
1 ½ cup cherry tomatoes
3 small avocados
Juice from half of a lime (or a whole one depending on how ‘juicy’ it is)
Cilantro (to your liking)
This is super simple; you pretty much dice everything up and throw it in a bowl. I cook the corn on the stove for about five minutes and rinse it in cold water then cut it off of the cob. I like the cherry tomatoes halved, but do your thing with it. Also, you can make it as flavorful as you want by adding extra lime juice and cilantro.



Spicy Black Bean Soup

1 tablespoon olive oil
½ onion
2 carrots
2 celery stalks
2 cloves of garlic
4 cans of black beans (drained)
1 can stewed tomatoes (I like the Trader Joes organic stewed tomatoes with green chilies
½ teaspoon cumin
Dash or two of oregano (dried or fresh)
¼ teaspoon Sriracha
¼ teaspoon sesame oil
¼ teaspoon ground mustard powder (optional)
32 ounces vegetable broth
Salt and pepper to your liking
Fat free Greek yogurt and cilantro for a garnish (optional)

Pour olive oil in a large pot and turn on medium heat. When the oil is shimmering add onions, celery and carrots. When the vegetables are tender add the garlic. After a minute add 3 of the cans of black beans and the tomatoes. Simmer for about five minutes or until the beans and tomatoes have warmed through. Pour broth into pot and add the cumin, oregano, Sriracha, sesame oil, mustard powder, salt and pepper. Bring soup to a simmer.

For this part I used my blender, but you can use a food processor or hand immersion blender. You will probably want to blend it in batches, because the soup will be HOT, and will flood out the top of the blender if you do too much at once.  It took me about four batches to puree it, but I only blended for about 20 seconds a batch. For safety I covered the top of my blender with a dishtowel protect my hand from any overflow.

Return the soup to the pot and add the last can of black beans. Simmer until the black beans are tender and warm.  I garnished with a little Greek yogurt and cilantro which was AMAZING, but if you want to keep the dish vegan you can garnish with avocado instead of yogurt. ENJOY!

Keep it real!

Labels: , , ,

Blogger Ramya said...  

Love your food pictures! I am a newbie food and fashion blogger from the Phoenix area. I am following you now. It will be great o see you around blogosphere :)

www.wardrobemenu.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home