Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Tradition

My mother and grandmother have always had an Easter time tradition of making Paska, a Menonite sweet bread with frosting and sprinkles. I have actually started helping my mom with this tradition, and while I had previous engagements on her Paska making day this year, I still wanted to contribute somehow....Last week I was talking to a new friend at work and she explained that she only eats butter a few times a year, and that's when she makes it...yeah when she makes it. I was a little shocked, but then she reminded me of when you're a little kid and you put cream in a baby food jar and shake it till it's butter, and then I was like 'oh yeah, I know how to do that!' So this year my contribute to Paska day wasn't laboring over the bread itself, it was churning butter.
No not that kind of churning butter, this kind..
In moderation, homemade butter is awesome, and it was a nice treat for Easter. It was so easy too! All I did was put some heavy whipping cream into a glass jar and shook away! If you try it, make sure to leave about half the space in the jar for room to shake, or it might take you a bit longer. It only took about 20 minutes to make, and we just drained the extra liquid. I've heard that kids really like this too...even though it was me and Jim doing it...we had fun. :) 

Let me know if you try making your own butter!

Keep it real,

Roo





Labels: , , ,

Blogger Joy said...  

ooo! I want to try! does it really taste like butter? I mean I guess that's a stupid question but it just sounds weird to me!

I am totally going to try this soon!

Blogger ga said...  

I never knew you could make butter from shaking cream. You just blew my mind. Have you tried adding things to it, like garlic or salt? I wonder if it would still work the same way...

Happy belated birthday by the way!

Anonymous Vanessa said...  

Haha you are SO funny! I love that picture of you and JIM BOB. Did you know that if you whisk heavy cream and powder sugar with a dash of vanilla it makes whipped cream? BOOM. I hope I blew your mind the way you just blew mine. That sounded dirty but it wasn't intended to. Okay maybe I lied. LOVE YOU!<3

Anonymous Suburban Sweetheart said...  

Oh, this is so old-timey. I LOVE IT. Also, that wedding photo.

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home