Monday, January 2, 2012

Thank you 2011, Hello 2012!

I'm not big on New Year's resolutions (if I was one of them would be to blog more), but I am big on reflecting and continuing/renewing goals. I think that both Jim and I have accomplished a lot this year and a lot of those things were conjured up mid-year. So in an effort to keep the ball rolling and refocus, these are my celebration and non-resolution, continuation lists.

Celebration List (goals I accomplished this year):
1. I ran my first 5K (I actually ran three over the summer).
2. In an attempt to keep myself active, I ran my first 1/2 marathon.
3. I went on a volunteer trip and helped build a house in Mexico.
4. We purchased both cabinets and counter tops without using a line of credit.
5. Rewired our whole house.
6. Read for pleasure for the first time in 6+ years (I actually read the Twilight Saga and Water for Elephants...I promise I'm not obsessed with Robert Pattinson).
7. Started my first ever salary-based job in April.
8. Tried composting for the first time (even though I wasn't so successful, I'm glad I learned more; most people fail in general on their first try).
9. I experimented with a vegetarian/vegan diet (which I'm still working on).
10. Co-planned a blogger meet-up for 50+ people, and made a ton of new friends!

Non-Resolution, Continuation List (goals I have already set, and are currently in progress):
1. Complete the Warrior Dash in April.
2. Run another 1/2 marathon.
3. Save enough money to buy a fancy camera.
4. Read a new book a month.
5. Successfully plant a garden, and work on the composting thing some more. 
6. Finish some more home renovations-at least five (dry wall in the kitchen, painting, molding, floors, bathroom, new front door, wall unit in the front room, fix up front porch, planters....the list is never ending).
7. Get more tattoos!
8. Eat vegetarian at least five times a week, two of those days being vegan.
9. Blog at least twice a week (that's a lot for me lately).
10. Take another Spanish course.

So I may not achieve all of my new goals, but that's okay because sometimes different goals come up part way through the year. This is why I like meditating on the good things that I accomplished during the year so that even if I didn't check everything off of last year's list, I can still be proud of myself. I mean, I didn't even start the year off thinking that I would run a half marathon, but look at me!

I have to admit something really serious though **serious blogger confession here** I have had a super tough time blogging the last few months (in case you weren't paying attention) and a lot of it has had to do with me being slightly depressed about it. I had a hard time with getting wrapped up in the hype of blogging, trying to keep up with the Jones' to an extent I guess. Not that I was constantly trying to be like others, but just super worried about other people posting something similar to what I just posted, or another blogger posting more than I was, or even others having better photography on their blogs (I am down to just iPhone pics and the quality just does not compare to a fancy-shmancy camera). On top of that, my house being like a construction zone due to a complete kitchen renovation which lasted for MONTHS, I mean MONTHS, did not help the creative juices, it actually made me want to crawl under my covers for hours on end...and some days that's what I did.

I felt like I had a lot of weight on my shoulders, and to make things worse, we were shelling out quite a bit of dough, and still didn't have a functional kitchen until just a couple of weeks ago. Let me tell you, it's ah-mazing what a new set of counter tops can do for a girl's outlook! I think that the running and training I did really kept me focused and helped me from crumpling on the floor every time I walked into the kitchen. Not being able to cook was really hard too. After about a month of eating out every night we got a stove; with no counter tops, sink or dishwasher it was still tough. Even though we could technically cook, it was like camping every night for months after that. I can't believe that we didn't kill each other in the process! Every night that we cook now, it's like Christmas when we do dishes...I mean a sink and a dishwasher, what a gift!

I think our waistlines are still recovering from months of eating out (even with all of the running) but it was all worth it to have a functional kitchen, debt-free! I'll have to do another post on the kitchen and how we got into the predicament that we did, and I'll post pictures, but for now just know that it was a life changing experience. If Jim and I can make it through 2011, we can make it through anything!



So what are your New Years resolutions? Do you make resolutions or is your method more similar to mine and continuing goals that you've had before? What made you feel good about 2011? Please share! I want some positive 2012 vibes!

Labels: , , , , , ,

Blogger Anna Zimmerman said...  

Hey Kelsey, You have accomplished so many great things this past year. Be proud! Especially about the running!

I honestly love your blog and really enjoy reading it. Your blog design is awesome too. To be honest, I'm a little jealous. But, I absolutely know how you feel about the blogger depression. I have been in the same rut. I need a sprucing and updating and also need to just post more in general.

That picture of you and your husband is just great. And you look super pretty.

Blogger RooFresh said...  

Anna, thank you for your comment! That was very sweet and it's nice to know that other people feel the same way!

Anonymous Liz said...  

Welcome back! Totally feel you on the whole blogging outlook thing. I just recently wrote about that too and just getting it off my chest made me feel loads better! I just had to remember that I started this blog for ME & that I was going to write about whatever the hell I wanted and not care about followers/comments, etc. The crazy part is, whenever I do that, I actually get a lot more positive feedback then when I post something I think is going to be *popular* Ha. Imagine that ;)

Blogger Amy said...  

I'm so glad you mentioned the pressures of blogging. I often read blogs, yours included, and think, "how do they do it?! I could never live up to that!" Once I decided that my blog is just for me and if people read it then cool. If not, I'm not going to sweat it :) I love your blog and hope to be as creative as you someday. Thanks for sharing a piece of your life and inspiring so many of us followers :)

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home