Tuesday, October 5, 2010

40 Minute Meals {because I just can't keep up with Rachel Ray}

Pavo con Queso (Turkey with Cheese)

So I'm not the best at naming things, obviously, but I wasn't sure what to call the dish that I make weekly for my family (myself and Jim Bob). I feel sorry for our future kids if I keep up with my lack of creativity with naming, but that's beyond the point; I actually decided to write this post as a bit of a joke (Kasey). I actually have had a few people mention that I should blog a recipe and since I owe Mrs. Julia a recipe I figured I would do it via blog. 








2 cups brown rice
2 Table spoons onion, chopped (I prefer yellow sweet onion)
1 teaspoon olive or vegetable oil
1 lb ground turkey meat
1/2 orange or yellow bell pepper (optional)
Taco Seasoning
1/2 small can or 2oz green chili
1 can roasted, diced tomatoes
1/2 cup frozen corn
1 small can sliced black olives (about 4oz)
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
Handful of cilantro (if desired)
Lime juice (if desired)


Taco Seasoning
3 Tablespoons water
2 teaspoons garlic salt

1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika






















Start by sauteing the onions with olive oil until they start to brown and are tender. Add the turkey meat and again cook on medium heat until brown. When the meat is cooked through, drain the excess fat and return it to the pan. 

Add the water and taco seasoning to the meat (you can use a pre-made taco seasoning, however, Trader Joe's was out once an employee told me how to make it this way and I haven't bought any since. I think it tastes better and you can adjust the heat however you would like with more or less Cayenne pepper). If you like the peppers in your recipe, add them at this time and let it simmer for 5 or so minutes.
After the seasoning is mixed thoroughly, add the green chili and tomatoes. I use diced roasted tomatoes that have green chili already in the mix and then add 2oz more into the pot. If you use plain tomatoes you can use a full 4oz of chilies or whatever your preference is for hotness/flavor.

I use frozen corn for this step. You can use fresh, canned or whatever other invention of corn that you can think of. I like the frozen because I can put it in a little early and let it simmer while my rice finishes cooking. I put the corn in and let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes. 
After the mixture has simmered the rice should be almost done. If it's not done you can let it continue to simmer for a little longer, just keep it at a very low heat, uncovered. A few minutes before you add the rice, add the black olives. I use a 4oz can, if you're an olive lover-olive it up!

At this point you can add the rice and the cheddar cheese if you would like to "calorie-up" the dish. :) I would start by folding in the rice and going for the cheese second (I know this is breaking "sin queso" oath, but I swear I have cut back significantly!) If you want to add other ingredients such as cilantro and lime juice go for it! Be careful with this dish, it's reeeeaally good, but it makes large portion sizes-so make if for your family or if you have company! In my case I make a lot and Jim and I use it for lunches during the rest of the week.



Well I hope you enjoy this little recipe. If it doesn't look like the fanciest dish in the world, don't adjust your screen-it's not, but it tastes great and it's easy! Oh and all of the photos were taken on my iPhone, so don't judge to harshly. I've included some tips below for cooking rice, if you've never made O.G. rice on a stove before it can take a couple tries before you get it right if you don't have a little help. If a rice cooker is better for you, I say go for the cooker! If you like the ingredients from this, you can always substitute potatoes or scrambled eggs for rice and make it into a breakfast burrito. Sooooo yum!

Enjoy!

Roo


Rice Tips

Rinse the rice very well before cooking it to eliminate some of the starch and increase success in cooking. Make sure that you follow the instructions on the rice packaging, every type is a little different as far as cooking instructions goes and little changes in directions can make major changes in how your rice turns out. Typically rice takes about 35-40 minutes to cook, so start the rice before starting the rest of the meal to make sure that you don't end up waiting on the rice. You can add a little bit of salt to the water when you put it on the stove to add a little flavor. Bring the water to a boil and add rice. After adding the rice wait till it is back to a boil and then simmer for the specified cook time, with the lid on.  A good way to tell if the rice is done is by looking for these holes or divots in the surface. Make sure that you don't disturb the rice during cooking; cook with the lid on, unstirred. 





Labels: , , , ,

Anonymous Iz said...  

Looks delish... I may have to try it one day. Sooner than later.

Anonymous Panda Pez said...  

Yay! Can't wait to make this for Brandon. Thanks for the detailed pics, I'm a visual person so it helps a bunch.

Blogger RooFresh said...  

Thanks Iz, and no prob Jackie, it was fun doing it.

Blogger Brenna said...  

Love the visuals....so much better than just seeing a finished product! Very impressive Mrs. Kelsey :)

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home