Monday, October 18, 2010

DIY Bag Redesign

I know that my little sign above is kinda cheesy, but I had fun making it so I don't care! This post is about my recent crafty crafts! I was so excited when I got this messenger bag from Goodwill a couple of months ago, but after I got home I realized there was a nasty, unidentifiable mark on the back. Eww.
This is just one shot, but there were a couple of nasty scratches. Needless to say my cool find (under $5) was left in my trunk for a couple of weeks months. I don't know where I got my idea to fix it up, maybe it's because I was putting flowers and broaches and trinkets on everything else for my Etsy shop, but last night I think I came up with my best "save the awesome thrift store find" idea yet!
Here's what my leather messenger back looked like before, kind of plain an boring, but still a nice bag. I decided to make some fabric flowers out of silk and tweed, and of course I added a doily to spice up my practical satchel. (It's a satchel...not a purse).

Some supplies:
*Fabric
*Fabric glue
*Needle and thread
*Doily, broach, any other embellishments you may want

You can start by cutting a few small fabric circles, however many you think you may need, remember you can always cut more if need be. After cutting circles, run fabric glue down the middle and fold in half, then down the middle again, and fold again so that your circles are now quarters. After you get all of your "petals" in place you can overlap them slightly in a circular shape and glue the center and edges together. I like to finish it off by putting a few stitches in the middle, then sewing a button or decoration of your choice in the middle. On the large flower here I used a vintage broach that I found a few weeks ago antiquing and some old buttons that my mom had given me for the little ones.
You can add the flower to the doily simply by using the fabric glue.
Lastly, you can add your embellishments to your bag, or whatever it may be that you want to "prettify" by using fabric glue again. For the bigger piece I made, I used a little bit of string and a thicker needle and stitched a few spots onto the bag.

Here's a few pictures of my re-designed, re-purposed bag! It's perfect for fall! I think I might use it as a laptop case, or maybe just as a purse, who knows-the possibilities are ENDLESS! :)

I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial on how to give your bag a makeover. If you liked this please let me know so that I can plan on doing more tutorials!

Roo







Labels: , , , ,

Anonymous Liz said...  

This is ADORABLE! Such a great DIY <3

Blogger RooFresh said...  

Thanks Liz!

Blogger Unknown said...  

Nice save Kels, it looks GREAT!

Blogger RooFresh said...  

Why thank you Juliqua!

Blogger JMay said...  

This is awesome girl! How creative r u!?

http://jennymayandswede.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home