Thursday, October 28, 2010

Holiday Cupcakes!



I'm so excited about this post! I have to say that this was one of the most fun projects I've done in a while...and I did it by myself. It would be awesome if we had kids, cause these suckers are fun! I'm pretty sure that this is the most rad cupcake you will every see, and it's a great day-of Halloween activity for those of you with little munchkins running around with a little extra energy this weekend.

My friend Kim showed me how to do this, hers were a little prettier and more precise, but I sure had a blast making a mess with these. I used basic cake ingredients, straight out of the box pretty much, and just used white cake batter and food coloring.
Simply follow the directions on the packaging, for oil I like to use olive oil-some people say it makes cake less sweet, I did it once accidentally and liked it so now I always use it. After making the batter, separate it into a few different bowls; this will depend on how many different colors you want to use, so plan ahead on this before you start.
After separating the batter, begin to mix your desired colors with basic food coloring. I used yellow and red to make orange, a lot blue and red (and a drop of yellow) to make purple, and depending on if you want pink or red, keep adding red. 
After getting all of the colors the way that you want them (this might take a lot of tweaking), start to layer them a little at a time into the cupcake wrappers so that the colors overlap-just be sure not to disrupt them too much after layering so that the colors stay separate and don't mix; that would probably result in an ugly cupcake. 
Layer by placing a generous spoonful of each color on top of one another, just don't be too generous in the whole cup or you get "lover-cupcakes" like these poor guys.
I think one of the best part about the holidays is that you have more festive options, for pretty much anything. For my cupcake wrappers I went with some fun Fall Martha Stewart wrappers.
These are my spooky "blood splatter" wrappers, but they actually looked really different and cool once the cupcakes were baked because they played off of all of the colors so well. 
If you decide to do purple, don't worry if it looks like poop; mine did too but after it's baked it looks great!
Obviously I filled my cupcake tray up a little high, but I kind of liked it that way because it ended up making the cupcakes a little quirkier.

Halloween
I LOVE the way this Halloween cupcake turned out. The green and purple make me think of a witch (or "Wicked") and the frosting on top reminds me of a little witch's hat! 

It's easy to get fancy looking frosting, just cut a small hole in the bottom of a Ziploc bag and push thick frosting into the bottom of the bag. This is a DIY version of piping (via my mom, circa 1994), just make sure you have plenty of frosting in the bag and push it out with a little force, (you might have to practice on a couple). 

I decided that I wanted to show you how versatile this can be so I did a couple other holiday examples...

Christmas

Valentine's Day
This cupcake didn't do as well, I think it had to do with the massive amount of frosting I put on top-just something to keep in mind. ;) If you can't tell I used pink and red, you might want to make sure that you really contrast these two if you decide to do a V-Day cupcake since they really blend together.

Easter

Well I hope that you enjoyed my DIY and pictures, I loved making them! I'll leave you with just a few more pictures of the whole bunch...


Happy Halloween!


Roo

*I didn't use any photo editing on any of the colors in these pictures-they came straight out of the camera this way. Keep in mind that the colors will change after you bake them, so if they look lighter before hand to you don't get frustrated, just pop a few in the oven and see how they turn out!








Labels: , , , , , ,

Anonymous Belly bell said...  

Yummy..... Save me some please!

Blogger JMay said...  

Those look fantastic! :-)

Good job!

Blogger RooFresh said...  

Thanks guys!

Blogger lauren brimley said...  

Most adorable cupcakes ever!!

Blogger RooFresh said...  

Thanks Lauren!

Blogger Unknown said...  

I'm duly impressed with how colorful these cupcakes are! Nice job aaand nice pictures!

Blogger Elaine said...  

Haha! Great job! You're so creative...no wonder you've been up so late lately.

Blogger RooFresh said...  

Thanks, Juliqua and mom, I think I'll end up making them again...

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home