Monday, September 27, 2010

Scherenschnitte


I would love to say that this pretty piece of artwork was done by myself, but sadly I am still aspiring to create works such as this one here. This is actually a paper cut-out by a lovely artist by the name of Cynthia Ferguson from Salt Lake City, Utah. I ran across Cindy's blog while doing research on paper cutting for my own work.
I recently started cutting random shapes and objects out of paper to put on the front of some custom journals that I've been working on. I was having tons of fun thinking of different shapes to make into sillhouettes for my projects and started doing some internet research to try and improve my craft. As I browsed the internet I found that there was actually a name for what I was doing called "Scherenschnitte". It's a German name which litterally means "scissor cuts" and is pronounced "sharon-sh-net" (according to wikipedia :)). In looking up this topic I stumbled across Cindy's blog and some pretty impressive work.

Here is another piece by her which is one of my favorites.The detail on this is CRAZY and it's hard to believe that it's all paper! I am really inspired by her art and while I have enjoyed my small pieces that I've been working on I can't wait to get better-who knows, maybe one day I could be so talented!
Well I won't hold out on you, here are some examples of how I've been using Scherenschnitte on my journals. Let me know what you think, and if there's something that inspires you to be creative let me know about that too!
Retro-Cateye Journal
Vintage Rotary Journal
Hope you like!
Roo
P.S. If you didn't notice this is somewhat of a sneak-peek for etsy store items. :)

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home