Sunday, December 5, 2010

40-Minute-Meals {Buffalo Chicken Soup}



It's that time again! 40-minute-moreorless-meals. This time I'm doing Buffalo Chicken soup per my hubby's request; I think he knows if I make it for the blog, he gets to eat it! 


Warning!!! This soup is NOT healthy, therefor it is only made during the holidays so that there are 11 more months for you to burn it off.  


So here it goes:


1 rotisserie chicken
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup celery, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup onion, coarsely chopped
2 14oz cans reduced sodium chicken broth, 
or one container of chicken broth from Trader Joe's
1 1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
1/2 cup Parmesan or hard Romano cheese
4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 bottle Frank's buffalo wing sauce
1 pinch black pepper, garlic salt, sea salt


Sorry to my veggie readers out there, I hope this doesn't gross you out too much. Start with a whole rotisserie chicken, you probably won't use the whole thing unless you are making more than one batch, and shred it into fine pieces. I try to only use the white meat, but if you like dark meat, be my guest! Make sure that before you throw away the chicken, you save the "juice" of the chicken that sits in the bottom of the container; it will make your soup much tastier if you save it and add it. 
Next, chop your onion and celery. You can see that mine is pretty coarse. If you want just the flavor you can chop it smaller, but I like it a little bigger so it almost feels like you're eating wings when you bite into it. A tip that I got from my mother is to "de-string" the celery. By using a knife and pulling from the top of the stalk before you chop it up, you can get all of those annoying stringy things off (as you can see in the picture). 




After chopping both, toss them in a preheated pan. Set the burner to medium-ish (depending on your elevation and stove settings) and put your butter in so that it can melt, after the butter is melted, toss in the veggies. Cook them until they are tender and somewhat transparent. 


(Sorry this picture is a little topsy turvy, but whatever).




After the veggies are soft you can add 2 Tbsp of flour, but save the other two for later. After that mixes in, which shouldn't take too long, add the juice from the chicken and the store bought chicken broth. I let this simmer till it comes to a small rolling boil, then I add my milk.
After the soup comes to a boil you can add your wing sauce. I like to use a 1/2 bottle of Franks, but if you like things kind of mild I would start with less and see how you like it. 
I read a little tip on the Internet that I tried this time while making it and I really liked it which is premixing all of your cheeses and then adding 2 Tbsp of flour with the cheeses to help thicken your soup. Add the cheese gradually and stir so that it gets mixed evenly.
 The last thing to add is the chicken and the spices, I usually use a cup to 1 1/2 cups just depending on the consistency of the soup and my mood.

Now depending on your preferences you can alter a lot in this recipe; just be careful, too much cheese or chicken can make for hard-eatin'. (This means you will have a thick chunky soup, with lots of chicken sticking together). 

If you are a vegan/vegetarian, there are ways to alter this recipe using veggie broth, soy milk and chick'n. Now I haven't tried it because I'm not a big fan of the fake meats, but it's worth a shot because this soup is so delicious. 

So this is the best soup in the world. It is the only thing that Jim begs me to make or that I've ever really seen him get this excited about. It is definitely a Christmas time treat and will definitely warm you up! It is great for holiday parties because you can make it the day before and toss it in a crock pot to warm up and make the house smell good. I actually prefer it a day or two old so that the flavors can mesh and get all..flavory. This recipe makes enough for about four people so plan accordingly if you decide to give it a try. 

I hope you enjoyed the play-by-play and MAKE IT, trust me-I didn't even think I liked buffalo sauce until I tried it in this soup.

Enjoy!

Roo

Labels: , , ,

Blogger Diana Smith said...  

That looks soooo good! HAHA I love how you say there are 11 months to burn it off cause seriously that is how it feels.

Blogger RooFresh said...  

Thanks Diana! You should try it, it's soooooo delicious!

Blogger Unknown said...  

Making this for dinner tonight!

Blogger RooFresh said...  

Enjoy! It is SOOO good, I hope you love it!

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home