Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Weekend Plans {Santarchy}



If you couldn't tell from our Halloween photos, we REALLY like to do it up on holidays!  This has a lot to do with Jim, he has a child-like spirit at times, and loves to have fun and make a deal out of Christmas, Easter, St. Patrick's Day...well, you name it, he's gone above and beyond. 


So I wanted to post this with plenty of time leftover to give people interested a chance to participate. It has become our tradition to partake in an annual event called "SANTARCHY." You may have heard of this, maybe not, but the basic gist is that hundreds of people dressed as Santa, Mrs. Claus, and even an occasional elf or Rudolph meet together in one place to have a bit of fun and claus cause a bit of ruckus...and guess what, Jim just happens to have a Santa costume that he bought TEN YEARS AGO. No reason for the purchase, he was just walking through Target, saw it and had to have it. So this event is perfect for him and now it is our tradition. 


Every year that we have participated it has been in Scottsdale and is more of a pub crawl, but last year we were a little overwhelmed by the amount of Santa's present and broke off and did our own thing. This thing is pretty big, actually it has gotten huge! What started off as a small gathering in San Fransisco in 1994 has now grown to a world-wide event. People in other countries have their own versions of Santarchy and most major U.S. cities are Claus-clad once a year as well. 


What I like about this: whether you want to go all out, or just sport a Santa hat with your friends, it helps you to remember not to take yourself too seriously....and how can you with everyone around you dressed as Kris Kringle?!? That's how people refer to themselves too! 


"Hi, nice to meet you, I'm Kelsey."


Person 1: "Likewise, my name is Kris Kringle."


"Hello, my name is Kelsey, what's yours?"


Person 2: "Why it's Santa of course!"


"I'm Kelsey, I didn't catch your name..."


Person 3 "Oh, well some people like to call me Nick, St. Nick."


Everyone is just happy and in good spirits at Santarchy, that's why I wanted to share it so that you can find one in your city! If your city doesn't have one, maybe it's time to start the tradition. For some people bars, restaurants, and crowds aren't their thing-so just have a Santa party of your own! I mean, everyone is having an ugly sweater party this year, why not spice it up and throw a Santa party? :)


Here is the link if you are interested in the official Santarchy, and for those of you who just want to live vicariously through us, I included some more pictures.


Everyone doing the "Kelsey" face.

So do you want to go now?!?! I know you do, you should see if there is one coming up in your area. If there's not one in your area, you can always fly down to Phoenix and meet up on the 18th! We'll have fun with or without you!

Keep it real,

Roo

ps. photos of this year's adventures will be posted after the 18th sometime..

Labels: , , , ,

Anonymous Liz said...  

I've never heard of this but it looks so fun.

Blogger RooFresh said...  

I'm pretty sure there's one in your area, you and Glenn should Santa it up!

Blogger Elaine said...  

Absolutely love the "buzz" you stir, or should I say de-hum-"bugging" you generate. Thanks for keeping it jolly!

Blogger Unknown said...  

Were I not such an old lady, this would be a fun gig for me! Have fun for me instead!

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home