Tuesday, March 8, 2011

40-Minute-Meals {Best Salad EVER!}

So I'm on a real kick with this salad lately, it's really easy to make, and it probably wont take you 40 minutes to make.

Ingredients: 1 Large sweet potato, 1 cup arugula, 2 tbsp green onion, 1 tsp olive oil, a dash of sea salt and ground pepper, dressing of choice. 

I start by peeling and chopping a sweet potato. I don't like my chunks too big because then it takes longer to cook. I warm a saucepan with a little bit of olive oil in it and toss 'em in. While that cooks (lid on at med-low heat) I wash some arugula and toss it in my favorite dressing (I buy a special dressing from a restaurant in Mesa called Moki's, it's a little sweet and creamy, so I don't need to use a lot). Don't forget to stir your sweet potatoes often so that they don't burn; if the heat is too high and they aren't stirred enough, they will taste charred and kind of gross. Something to keep in mind is that the more you leave the lid on, the fast it will cook as well due to the steam. When the sweet potatoes start to get tender, add some chopped green onion, whites and greens, but wait till the potatoes are almost done so that they don't wilt too much. Right before the potatoes are done, add some fresh ground pepper and sea salt for flavor. If the potatoes start to stick to the pan a lot, you can add more olive oil, just be careful because the calories can start to add up (stir frequently to avoid sticking). Let the potatoes cool for 10-15 minutes and toss them in with the arugula....and you're done! 

Mmmmmm, so good! AND HEALTHY! The sweet potatoes are packed with vitamins (as long as you don't over cook them) and you burn the same amount of calories by eating the arugula as are in it! 

TIP: Foods that have Vitamin A aka Beta-Carotene in it are processed better if heated slightly, if you over cook it, the food can lose nutrient value. 

I love this salad because it makes me feel fancy when I make it. I think it's sophistocated and you can impress your friends with it! If you try to make it, let me know what you think!

Keep it real,

Roo

Labels: , , , , ,

Blogger Unknown said...  

That looks really great! Salads never sound appealing to me, but when I have one in front of my I almost always enjoy them. I love sweet potatoes - will definitely try this soon :)

Blogger danielle and dinosaur toes said...  

i've got about a bajillion sweet potatoes from the garden and i run out of things to do with them, so i'm definitely going to try this!

Blogger LillianZahra said...  

This looks delicious. I love sweet potato in salads. x

Anonymous Panda Pez said...  

YUMMO!

Blogger aki! said...  

I don't really know how I feel about arugula ... but I suppose I'll have to give it a chance.

seven-percentsolution.blogspot.com

Blogger Danielle said...  

AHH! This looks so good. I can't wait to try it! :) Thanks for the recipe/idea.

xoxo

Blogger RooFresh said...  

I'm glad everyone likes the recipe! (This one's husband approved!)

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home