Tuesday, August 30, 2011

How does your garden grow?

Do you remember this post that I did a few weeks ago on being 'green'? Well I'm following up on one of those steps in the next couple of weeks, and that is to get my garden growing! The more research I do, the more I realize that gardening comes in all different forms and all different shapes and sizes!

The photo on the left above is from a site called Re-Nest.com and it has great gardening tips sprinkled throughout its content. The one on the right is a photo that I took outside of 'Art in the Streets' in Los Angeles. As you can see, they are very different, but still accomplishing a goal. While I was at the Society for Nutrition Education conference in Kansas city I sat in on a session about school and community gardens. It was so interesting to see how creative the kids got by putting plants and herbs in buckets and homemade planters. It convinced me that a garden is possible where ever you are!

Below are some pictures of the storage space that we found in our backyard to start planting our home garden. It's definitely scary looking right now, but we're working on it. I know it will be beautiful when it's done!
I'm not trying to sugar coat it..it needs some WORK.
We've already cleaned out a lot of the garbage from the inside and taken the doors off, but we still have to drill drainage holes, clean and rinse it out, and find our fill dirt and soil. That's just to start! There's plenty more to do than that, but we're being kept busy for a while. (Oh and FYI, all of that garbage is from the previous home owners, NOT us...we may be messy, but we're not that messy.)

In the mean-time, I want to get some seedlings started. In Arizona the prime time to start planting your fall garden is in September. We went to the store the other night and bought tons of little packets of organic seeds. I found a great little green method to get our seed-babies growing!
I can't wait to get them started! Ahhhhh! If you're interested in trying out this method, here's the link to the picture shown above to help get you started.

More photos and updates will be posted as they happen. Happy gardening!

Keep it real,
Roo

Labels: , , ,

Blogger Savanah said...  

Love the potential for that garden space!! Where did you find organic seeds in Phoenix? I wanna start baby seeds again.

Blogger RooFresh said...  

We actually found a line of USDA certified organic seeds at Lowe's. I'm always skeptical as to how 'pure' organic they are, but it's a start. :)

Blogger Ashley said...  

yeah! another phoenix blogger!!! awesome post, i so want to start gardening..but i always feel its impossible in AZ lol! I'm your newest follower!
-Ashley-

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home