Monday, March 28, 2011

Most People Your Age...


'Most people your age' has become my least favorite phrase lately. With my 25th birthday quickly approaching I have been informed of the fact that I've already been in my mid-twenties for two years now, that I'm about to embark on my late twenties and that my early twenties were gone a long time ago.  Well, I still say that 25 is 'mid-twenties' but apparently once you hit the half-way-to-thirty mark, it doesn't even matter anymore.

"Most people your age have it a lot worse, one little cavity really isn't so bad," (straight from my dentist's mouth). "Most people your age have skin that clears up pretty well...we'll have to see where it goes from here." Wow it sucks that I'm my age and I'm not most people. If I wasn't already freaked out and sensitive about it enough, I feel that plenty of people around me are making sure that I remember the fact that it's my big quarter-century b-day year.

I don't know what it is, but there's something about turning 25 that is really starting to grate on me. I think subconsciously I feel that my twenties are half way over and that life has gone into fast forward mode and that before I know it, I'm going to be in my thirties. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with being in your thirties, heck, my husband is :) but my mind insists on tricking me into believing that the party stops at 30 and that I no longer have the option of a life. It's like "quick, make sure you get all of the fun stuff done, thirty is almost here!"

I can't figure out why I feel this way...maybe when I was younger I imagined things differently...but that doesn't make sense because I TOTALLY love my life! I've got a perfect husband, a great family, awesome friends, and the raddest dogs you'll ever meet.

So in preparation for 25, I'm making a list of all of the things that make this year awesome, and everything that I'm grateful for...

{Why 25 is AWESOME}

Perfect Husband

Best Family

Fantastic Friends

Awesome House

Rad Dogs

New Niece

Sweet New Job (well hopefully I'll like it)

Jim's Promotion

Cool Plans

My Mom's Carrot Cake

New Blogger Friends

Brand Spankin' New Fridge!

I Don't Have Skin Cancer

No Laser Treatment at the Dentist

Pedicure Soon

Thrifting

Crafting

Vacation Planning

Phoenix Exploring

Tucson-Going

LOVING LIFE!

If you haven't noticed, I can tend to focus on the negative and get bogged down in the 'what if?' When I stop and think about it, I have a lot of great things going on and if I focus too much on matters that are unimportant, life is going to be in fast forward. 

Side story: Jim never watches movies in 'real time' he always fast forwards them on the feature that allows him to speed it up, but still understand what people are saying...everyone just has Mickey Mouse voice. The speed at the bottom of the screen says '1.5>>>' so our friends call this 'watching movies in 1.5'. I don't know why he does this, I couldn't possibly watch movies in 1.5 all of the time, but he says that he loves the satisfaction of finding out what happens...even if it's a movie he doesn't really care about (i.e. the other day when he rented 'Yogi Bear'). 

What was the point of that story? Well, it's a good mantra to have...

"Don't live life in 1.5!"

So what do you think? Are you living life in 'real time' or '1.5'? Do you feel old, or feel your age...or feel young for your age?!?! (If so, what's your secret?!?) Let me know!

Keep it real,

Roo

Labels: , , ,

Blogger Diana Smith said...  

What a great post! I am only 22 so I think I have a while but I hate it when people say people your age phrase is annoying!! They don't have a clue cause those people saying that are in their 40s and on haha

Blogger Danielle said...  

ahh I love this post and HOW CUTE is that photos up there?! You guys crack me up and are the sweetest, most fun couple!

As for me, I feel SO young for my age, but at other times I feel old..it's hard to explain. Hank is so young at heart so he keeps me pretty youthful. :)

xo

Anonymous Vanessa said...  

Haha I was so shocked when you told me about that! 1.5! I don't know how he does that. I'd say you've had a pretty awesome year as being 24 and you'll have a great time being 25 dear! <333 plus now that we've met we can hang out all the time now and I think that's pretty awesome in itself<3

Blogger Pia said...  

I really loved reading this!
I'll turn 25 this year as well and that is really bugging me. I don't even know why. 24 or 25, there's not really a big difference. But to me, 25 sounds old. Like...grown-up. Adult. And honestly, I don't feel "grown-up", but with 25 people expect you to be all grown-up. Do you know what I mean? Does that even make sense??

Sadly, I think I live life in 1.5 most of the time. Always thinking what's next? What's going to happen now? What if...?
I really really need to stop doing that because it's slowly killing me!


PS: I snatched up your button to put on my favorites page. Your blog is awesome!
PPS: I just wrote a novel. I think.

Anonymous Anonymous said...  

Yes, I feel you in this regard to age. I feel like holy hell, I'll be 28 this year!! But, honestly it's just the beginning. My mom is 52 and she is still going strong and without a doubt in the world I will be the same way! :)
You are WAY too much fun and way to pretty to worry about that!

Blogger Lori said...  

I shed a little tear a few months after I turned 25, it was the first time I got carded while buying alcohol after turning 25, and it just *BAM* hit me. Then I had my first child at 26, then my next 2 children at 29, and now I'm 31 and yes, it's gone by at warp speed.

When people say "people your age", I don't think the intent is to be critical, or rude, it's just looking back at who they were at that age, and where their life was, and thinking to themselves... "wow, did the last x # of years really just fly by?" yes, yes it did.

Your list is great, Kelsey ~ and a neat idea to already be contemplating the great things in your life 'at your age' ;)

Blogger Cara-Mia said...  

Found your blog via all the AZ meetup posts. :) When I first heard Chelsea talking about it I so hoped to be able to go. Boo.

Anyway, I just turned twenty-six this month and I thought I would freak out like I did when I turned twenty-five. Four years away from thirty and my life is not at all how I had thought it would be. But I've tried very hard to stay positive and calm myself down. Not living life at 1.5 speed sounds like good advice - & I must say I do not think I'd be able to watch a movie like that at all! :D

Blogger RooFresh said...  

Wow! I can't believe how much everyone can relate to this, that's awesome!

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home